Fun ways to encourage your kids healthy dental habits and a Free Tooth Fairy Letter you can print at home
I always try to make my little one’s dentist appointments in December during the holiday break and the first week of Summer. Not that it always works out, but I “try” to plan his dental visits so he doesn’t miss school for them. He actually loves going to the dentist. He likes the bubblegum-flavored cleanings, and he gets a kick out of sitting in the dentist’s chair with that light shining on his mouth. He thinks his dentist is great, he’s funny and friendly and the dental office is bright and colorful. Of course, he also likes getting a new tooth brush at the end of every visit.
Healthy dental habits start at home. Here’s some ideas to teach your child about their teeth and to keep those smiles bright.
5 Fun Ways to Encourage Kids Healthy Dental Habits
- Take your preschooler to the store with you and let them pick out their own tooth brushes, rinse and flossers. There’s every cartoon character out there that is on a tooth brush. Some brushes even have lights to let kids know they have brushed a full 2 minutes.
- Read a book together about going to the dentist or even a book about teeth. Some great titles you can check out are: Curious George Visits The Dentist, The Crocodile and the Dentist, The Tooth Book.
- When they lose a tooth, remind them that the Tooth Fairy likes especially nice, pretty teeth to add to her collection. Sit down with your child and write a letter to the Tooth Fairy to include under their pillow. Maybe the tooth fairy will write back thanking your little one for leaving her extra clean teeth! (Psst! Check out the FREE Tooth Fairy Letter below! Just click and print at home!)
- Add daily tooth brushing to their weekly chore chart. Remind them they have to brush once in the morning and again at night. Bonus if they don’t miss a day!
- Talk to them about their next dentist visit and get them excited about it. Talk about the how important it is for the dentist to be able to check our teeth regularly to make sure they stay healthy, just like a doctor does to keep our bodies healthy.
FREE Tooth Fairy Letter
Has your little one just lost a tooth? Enjoy this free Tooth Fairy Letter – just click the image below and print at home.