Let’s face it, moving is one of the most stressful things a person has to deal with in life. I don’t know anyone that actually enjoys moving. When was the last time you had to think about moving? If you are in the market for a new home, then a moving day is in your near future. Are you prepared? Of course you’ll need boxes (lots of them!) and tape, but have you thought about things like updating all your utility companies?
You should also check out Owners.com for a ton of great resources dedicated to home buyers and sellers. I recently came across this article on their site: 5 Tips For Moving With Children and one of their tips is that you should pack kids’ rooms last and unpack their rooms first to help keep their routine as familiar as possible. Excellent idea to remember!
Packing & Moving Tips and Tricks:
- Use a different color tape for each room. Duct tape comes in a zillion different colors, and the colored tape will make identifying boxes so much easier when they all look like a sea of cardboard later on.
- Use ziplock bags to organize items from drawers like kitchen drawers filled with measuring spoons or the kid’s bathroom drawers filled with a hundred hair ties and bows.
- Pack blankets and pillows in large garbage bags. They don’t weigh much and you don’t need them in boxes.
- Create a “Must Have” Essentials box for everything that you will need handy when you first walk in the door to your new house. This could include toilet paper, cleaning supplies, maybe the kids iPads and chargers.
- Use your phone to snap a quick photo of your electronics set up (the back side where all the wires get plugged in and where) to help you remember where they all go when you unpack them.
- Don’t pack those extra fitted sheets, cover your mattresses in them (both sides) to help protect your mattresses from the dust and dirt of moving day.
- Leave lightweight items like socks and underwear in the drawers. You may want to even wrap the drawers in plastic wrap.
- Before you leave, take a moment to take a family picture in the old house. It will be a nice memory later on for the whole family to look back on.
And if you’re currently considering buying or selling a home, check out Owners.com. It’s a modern way for home buyers and sellers to take control of the real estate process. Buyers can search through up to date MLS listings as well as For-Sale-By-Owner properties at their own pace. Interested in a listing? Owners.com will help you schedule a tour with no commitment required. Feel like you need a little help? No problem. Owners.com offers personal, online support by licensed real estate agents. Best of all you could save thousands at closing with their buyer rebate program. Visit Owners.com to learn more and start your search.
Disclosure: The buyer rebate is based on an average rebate of 1.5% and an average home price of $350,000 (U.S. Census Jan.-Sept 2015). Some limitations apply. See Owners.com for details.
This post was brought to you by Owners.com
The coloured duct tape advice and Packing blankets and pillows in large garbage bags seems to be very effective…This article was very useful to me..Thanks!!!
Mommy Mafia says
You’re very welcome! Thanks for stopping by!