It’s the second day of my Mother-in-Law’s stay in my house and I’m pretty much just letting the Little One do what he wants with her. They play swords, they play Twister (well, she’s 81, so HE was playing Twister, she was spinning the needle), they drew pictures, you name it. At some point in the afternoon, it was time for the iPad to come out. He was excitedly showing off his agility powers on one of those swipe/jump/swipe again type games and he wanted her to play with him. Not shockingly, she was falling off the “ledge” of the game at every turn, and he started to get frustrated with his Abuela. Next thing I know, he comes up to me and says, “Mommy? Can you get me a different game that Abuela can play?” It was actually very funny and endearing at the same time. He genuinely just wanted to play with her. Taking advantage of the opportunity to put a Spanish language app in front of him, I downloaded the Wubbzy y El Tren Loco App (Wubbzy’s Train Adventure), (based on the popular television series “Wow! Wow! Wubbzy!), and watched what happened.
My Cuban MIL only has one button- ON. She’s dramatic whether there is an opportunity to be dramatic or not. So of course, she jumped when Wubbzy jumped, she screamed when the LO got all of the pieces of the track just right, squealed with him when he repeatedly hit the character that said, “Está loco!” over and over again. But it was adorable to watch. The fact that with the touch of a button, I was able to put the app in Spanish and give her the opportunity to bond with my son through language AND play, was awesome. She read along (in Spanish) with the story, and encouraged him to repeat the words. It was sweet. He didn’t want to give her her turn. He was having too much fun to give it up.
Wubbzy y El Tren Loco, the most recent offering from Cupcake Digital, showcases the company’s mission to provide children with ways to interact with the language and foster their interest in learning and speaking Spanish. Language and narrative are part of what make Cupcake Digital apps so special, and having the ability to instantly change to Spanish within the app adds value to parents looking to expose their child to a second language.
“With Wubbzy’s Train Adventure, we continue to provide exceptional storybooks in Spanish with valuable educational components that parents and their kids are sure to love.” said Cupcake Digital Chairman Brad Powers. “This Wubbzy story is one of my son’s favorites now he can practice my wife’s native language. I hope that our fans benefit similarly and utilize these bilingual apps as a bonding experience.”
Wubbzy y El Tren Loco features:
– Playful mini-games within the story and added learning games for practice of number, letter and sight word recognition.
– Professional narration of the same story in English and Spanish is a good introduction for initiating natural language acquisition.
– Individually highlighted words in the app are designed specifically for teaching the basics of spelling and vocabulary and can be used to practice Spanish.
– Three reading modes: Just a Book for quiet reading time, Read to Me and Read & Play.
– Spanish subtitles have been added to three original sing-along music videos from the popular Emmy (R) award-winning series.
– Coloring pages with scenes straight from the story.
– A Grown-Up’s Corner to guide parents, teachers and caregivers in discussing the story with kids
Wubbzy y El Tren Loco is available for only $2.99 on the Apple App Store, and on Amazon
for Android devices. The English/Spanish version can be downloaded new or the addition of a Spanish language option is a free upgrade for those who already own the English version.